chieftec_ban_160.gif

logo minifile

::>Motherboards > 2014 > 05 > ASUS J1800I-C

Print version
Republish review

15-05-2014

rss

Motherboard ASUS J1800I-C with Intel Bay Trail-D CPU: review and testing

Nowadays the great popularity is taken by miniature motherboards with Mini-ITX form factor and integrated processors because they provide wide opportunities to select computer case, and have a low energy consumption.

The main feature of the model ASUS J1800I-C, is the presence of integrated processor Intel Celeron J1800. It belongs to Intel Bay Trail-D platform, is based on the 22nm microarchitecture Intel Silvermont and designed for compact desktops PCs with low power consumption. Currently there are four models of Intel Celeron processors for platform Intel Bay Trail-D:

CPU model

Intel Celeron J1750

Intel Celeron J1800

Intel Celeron J1850

Intel Celeron J1900

Number of CPU cores/threads

2 / 2

2 / 2

4 / 4

4 / 4

Basic/dynamic frequency, MHz

2410 / -

2410 / 2580

2000 / -

2000 / 2410

Graphics core

Intel HD Graphics

Intel HD Graphics

Intel HD Graphics

Intel HD Graphics

Graphics core basic/dynamic frequency, MHz

688 / 750

688 / 792

688 / 792

688 / 854

L2 cache memory capacity, MB

Max rate of DDR3L, MHz

Heat package (TDP), W

The main feature of the CPU is SoC design, which allows to combine processor and graphics cores, memory controller and other popular interfaces on a single chip. At the same TDP value of new product remains at 10 W, which makes it easy to create HTPC on their basis.

Processor Intel Celeron J1800 has the following characteristics:

Model

Intel Celeron J1800

CPU socket

Socket BGA1170

Basic/ dynamic clock frequency, MHz

2410 / 2580

Multiplier

L1 cache memory capacity, KB

2 х 24 (data memory)

2 х 32 (instruction memory)

L2 cache memory capacity, KB

Microarchitecture

Intel Silvermont

Platform

Intel Bay Trail-D

Number of cores/threads

2/2

Instruction

MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x

Supply voltage, V

-

Max design power (TDP), W

Critical temperature (TJUNCTION), °C

105°C

Technological process, nm

Technology support

Intel (VT-x) virtualization

Intel 64 architecture

Intel SpeedStep

Built-In Memory Controller

Max memory, GB

Memory type

DDR3L-1333

Number Of Memory Channels

Max carrying capacity, GB/s

-

ECC memory support

No

Integrated Graphic Core Intel HD Graphics

Basic frequency, MHz

Max dynamic frequency, MHz

Memory volume, GB

-

Technology support

Intel Quick Sync Video

Max number of supported displays

Producer website

Product page

Intel

Intel Celeron J1800

The key feature of this processor is the presence of two cores operating in two-threaded mode. Additionally there is two-channel memory controller that supports low-voltage modules of DDR3L-1333 standard.

ASUS J1800I-C

Using CPU-Z 1.69 program we’ve obtained detailed information about the processor at full load. It supports Intel Turbo Boost technology which is activated in the nominal mode, so its dynamic clock frequency at the time of reading was 2583 MHz. The multiplier was at “x31” and the core voltage at 1,064 V.

ASUS J1800I-C

After disabling Intel Turbo Boost multiplier value was dropped to “x29” the clock speed up to 2417 MHz, and the voltage up to 1,024 V. As you can see, the difference between the Intel Celeron J1800 clock frequency of base and dynamic modes is 166 MHz. If for ordinary desktop processors such indicator may not be significant, for energy-efficient entry-level solutions it is good value. Therefore it is better to leave the Intel Turbo Boost technology enabled.

ASUS J1800I-C

In idle mode CPU frequency decreased to 1333 MHz, and the multiplier index was dropped to “x16”. Core voltage at the moment of reading was 0,704 V.

ASUS J1800I-C

Cache memory is distributed according the following scheme: 24 KB of L1 cache memory per each core with 6 associativity channels for data caching and 32 KB L1 cache memory per each core with 8 associativity channels for instructions caching. Also here is 1024 KB of total L2 cache with 16 associativity channels. 

ASUS J1800I-C

RAM Controller of Intel Celeron J1800 supports DDR3L modules with frequency 1333MHz and voltage of 1.35 V which can operate in dual channel mode. Maximum RAM capacity is 8 GB.

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C

Integrated graphics accelerator Intel HD Graphics Accelerator includes 4 unified shader pipeline, 2 rasterization blocks and 4 texture units, and also has the support of instructions OpenCL and DirectCompute 5.0. Basic GPU frequency is 688 MHz, and dynamic speed reaches 792 MHz.

In general, the processor Intel Celeron J1800 is quite attractive solution intended to create a miniature computer which copes with video playback and internet surfing when connecting to TV, and does not require special maintenance and cooling.

And now let’s proceed to the description of ASUS J1800I-C.

ASUS J1800I-C

The specs:

Producer

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Model

J1800I-C

CPU socket

Socket BGA1170

Integrated CPU

Intel Celeron J1800 (2 х 2,41 - 2,58 GHz)

Memory frequency

1333 MHz

Memory support

2 x DDR3/DDR3L SO-DIMM-slots with support up to 8 GB

Expansion slots

1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1

1 x Mini-PCIe

Disk subsystem

2 x SATA 3 GB/s

LAN

1 x Realtek RTL8111G (10/100/1000 MB/s)

Sound subsystem

8-channelHD Audio based on codec

Realtek ALC887

Power

24-pin ATX power socket

4- ATX12V power socket

Fans

1 x CPU fan socket (4-pin)

1 x system fan socket (4-pin)

Coolinf

Aluminum radiator on the CPU

External I/O

1 x PS/2 (mouse/keyboard)

4 x USB 2.0

1 x USB 3.0

1 x HDMI

1 x D-Sub

1 x COM

1 x LAN (RJ45)

3 x audio ports

Internal I/O

1 x USB 2.0 with support of two USB 2.0

2 x SATA 3 GB/s

1 х COM

1 x LPT

1 x TPM

1 x connector of audio output to front panel

1 x set of front panel connectors

BIOS

64 MB UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.7, ACPI 2.0a

Form-factor

Mini-ITX

Dimension

170 x 170 mm

Producer website

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Updated versions of BIOS and drives are available on support page

You should pay attention to the fact that the motherboard supports the memory modules with a voltage of 1.35 V and some with power 1.5V (with automatic reduction to 1.35 V).

Packaging and content

ASUS J1800I-C

The motherboard is shipped in a rather compact black box. On the front side, besides the name of the manufacturer and model of the device the key advantages are listed.

• support of low-voltage DDR3L memory modules with a supply voltage of 1.35 V;
  • installed processor Intel Celeron J1800;
  • steel interface panel;
  • protection of motherboard connectors against electrostatic discharges;
  • high-quality solid capacitors with increased service life (up to 5000 hours at 105°C);

support of proprietary software AI Suite 3.

ASUS J1800I-C

On the reverse side of the box there is a schematic representation of the motherboard with all available connectors. Also, here you can find some additional advantages of the new product:

• Network iControl - software that allows you to set priorities for access to network resources for individual applications;
  • USB 3.0 Boost - support of UASP technology increases data transfer rate (up to 132%);
  • UEFI BIOS - a convenient and functional shell for preloader motherboard BIOS that supports mouse control and a wide range of options for configuration.

ASUS J1800I-C

Set of delivery includes:

• interface panel plug;
  • two SATA cables;
  • CD with software and drivers;
  • warranty card;
  • User's Guide
  • a sticker on the computer case.

Design and features  

ASUS J1800I-C

The product is made on a dark brown color Mini-ITX textolite. Arrangement of components and connectors is thoughtful. Some inconvenience during build can cause the close proximity of one RAM slot and 24-pin power connector ATX.

ASUS J1800I-C

The only notable elements of the reverse side of the printed circuit board are four screws of the cooling system, as well as stickers with technical information.

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C

Disk subsystem of ASUS J1800I-C is represented by two SATA 3GB/s connectors. Next to it there are the speaker system and leading-in socket of front panel elements. Also near the interface panel there is inside connector to output two USB 2.0-ports.

ASUS J1800I-C

The motherboard is equipped with two SO-DIMM-slots with support of memory modules DDR3/DDR3L-1333. They are arranged along the two sides of the radiator of the cooling system. Also there is a 24-pin ATX power connector and COM and LPT-ports connectors.

ASUS J1800I-C

The cooling system is absolutely silent and presents by only one large aluminum radiator painted in orange color. It is responsible for the heat removal and dissipation from the CPU Intel Celeron J1800.

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C

In idle mode temperature CPU did not exceed 39°C. During the stress test (at maximum load), this index was at mark 42,1°C. Peak temperature of chip and chokes of power system at 41,6°C. These results characterize this excellent cooling system as a very effective and noiseless solution.

ASUS J1800I-C

Processor power supply is performed via 2-phase scheme. Chip Richtek Technology RT8162A is used as controller. Also the important element of this subsystem is the presence of high quality solid capacitors with improved service period. Basic 24-pin and additional 8-pin connectors are use for power feeding.   

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C is equipped with two slots for expansion cards: PCI Express 2.0 x1 and mini-PCIe. For example, the first will allow to install high-quality modern sound card, and the second - wireless Wi-Fi module.

ASUS J1800I-C

Multi I/O Nuvoton NCT6779D supports monitoring functions, the operation of combined PS/2 port and the system fan controller supports.

ASUS J1800I-C

To support network connections there are two GB LAN-controller Realtek RTL8111G.

ASUS J1800I-C

Sound subsystem is based on HAD codec of 8-channel sound Realtek ALC887that supports 2/4/5.1/7.1 sound systems.

ASUS J1800I-C

As we’ve already mentioned the interface panel is made of steel and its sockets are protected against electrostatic discharges. The list of the external ports is the following: 

• 1 x PS/2 (mouse/keyboard)
  • 4 x USB 2.0
  • 1 x USB 3.0
  • 1 x HDMI
  • 1 x D-Sub
  • 1 x COM
  • 1 x LAN (RJ45)
  • 3 x audio ports

In general, this set is complete enough as it includes either analog (D-Sub) or digital (HDMI) output image interface, high speed USB 3.0 connector and even COM-port. The only inconvenience may cause a small amount of audio ports.

ASUS J1800I-C

ASUS J1800I-C

To organize blowing inside the case there are two four-pin connectors. The first will connect the usual fan case to remove the heated air outside the system unit. The second is used to install additional cooling of the CPU in case if one is not enough.

Социальные комментарии Cackle
Site Search
facebook vk YouTube
google+ twitter rss
top10

vote

Голосование